In New York, most employment is regarded as “at-will,” which means your employer can terminate employment for any or no reason at all. However, you still have rights. Employees can receive many different types of damages if they have been wrongfully terminated. The experienced employment attorneys at Fellows Hymowitz Rice represent many people who have been wrongfully discharged from their jobs.
Here are several points to keep in mind when considering to file a wrongful termination lawsuit:
– If an employer fires an employee in violation of anti-discrimination laws, it can be held legally responsible for damages.
– It is illegal to fire someone based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability, pregnancy or age.
– An employee has rights in regards to the termination of employment prior to the end date of a contracted work order. This is also known as breach of contract.
– Employers cannot force workers to break the law in order to do their jobs. If you refuse to break the law on the job and are subsequently fired, you should seek the advice of a lawyer at Fellows Hymowitz Rice.
– It is illegal to terminate a person for taking time off from work in order to vote or for military service.
– Employers are obligated to follow their company’s specific disciplinary and termination polices that are put in place to protect employees.
– Examples of damages one may be entitled to if wrongfully terminated are; back pay, promotion, reinstatement, front pay, compensatory damages, punitive damages, and attorney fees.
There are multiple steps that must be taken in order to bring a wrongful discharge claim. Fellows Hymowitz Rice Rockland County, NY law firm can answer all your questions and a skilled, dedicated attorney from our firm can review the details of your case for you free of charge.
If you or a loved one has been wrongful fired from you job, has experienced sexual harassment at your job or has been the victim of age or race discrimination, contact the experienced, caring employment attorneys at Fellow Hymowitz, PC.
We’ll speak with you for free and help you find answers. And there is never a fee unless we recover for you. 845-639-9300.
Fellows Hymowitz Rice, PC, The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference