Wind, snow, and freezing rain create hazardous road conditions while slippery and icy roads cause thousands of serious motor vehicle crashes every year.
Earlier this week, snow and icy winter weather conditions affected the commute of many drivers in the Lower Hudson Valley. Fellows Hymowitz urges all New York and New Jersey drivers to slow down and drive defensively during periods of severe winter weather.
Below are a few easy to remember safety tips to help you in the winter weather months on the roads:
• Prepare Your Car or Truck: Before it begins to snow, check your vehicle and make sure you have all the right equipment that can help keep you safe during winter weather.
– Install and properly inflate your winter tires
– Make sure your battery is fully charged and your headlights and brake lights are fully functional
– Keep an ice scraper and flares handy in case of an emergency
• Listen to the Forecast: Keep an eye on the weather so that you can be prepared for delays during your commute. Plan ahead and leave yourself extra time to arrive at your destination if there is snow, sleet or freezing rain in the forecast.
• Drive Cautiously: Never speed or drive aggressively during periods of inclement weather. Car accidents happen much more frequently during these periods, and driving aggressively only increases your odds of being involved in a car accident.
• School Zone Safety: Allow for greater stopping time and distances both in and out of school zones.
Please slow down and drive safely this winter. Remember, even if you have to arrive at your destination a few minutes late, nothing is more important that arriving safely.
If you or a loved one are seriously injured in a car accident that was not your fault, call Fellows Hymowitz right away at 845-639-9300. When you call, you will speak with an experienced, compassionate New York and New Jersey Car Accident lawyer absolutely FREE.
We will investigate every detail of your accident and fight hard to ensure that your rights are protected. At Fellows Hymowitz, you will never pay an attorney’s free up front and we don’t get paid until you do.
Fellows Hymowitz P.C – The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference