The Independence Day holiday has come and gone, however the summer heat is sticking around. This means thousands of people will be heading towards pools and waterparks to relax and cool off during the July heat. It is important to educate parents and children of the steps they should take to stay safe when spending time in or near water.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that nearly 400 people drown in a pool each year, with 75 percent of those incidents involving children younger than 5. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, children between the ages of 1 and 3 and African-American children between the ages 5 and 19 are most likely to drown. The CPSC has initiated a Pool Safely campaign. Pool Safely is a national public education effort to reduce drowning.
The CPSC’s Top 10 Tips to Stay Safe Around the Pool and Spa:
1. Never leave a child unattended in or around a pool
2. Teach children basic water safety tips
3. If a child is missing, first look in the pool
4. Keep children away from pool drains
5. Ensure all pool drain covers comply with federal standards
6. Learn how to swim and teach your children to swim
7. Learn how to perform CPR on children and adults
8. Install a 4-foot or taller fence around the perimeter of the pool
9. Install lockable safety cover on your spa
10. Have lifesaving equipment easily accessible
The experienced personal injury attorneys at Fellows Hymowitz Rice PC. have a record of success in handling a wide range of cases including swimming pool accidents & wrongful death claims.
We bring the same individual commitment and dedication to each case, big or small.
If you have been injured or sustained loss in any type of accident as a result of someone else’s fault call us for a free confidential consultation at 845-639-9300.
Fellows Hymowitz Rice, PC, The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference