When our loved ones enter a nursing home, we try our best to remain optimistic for their happiness in their new home. Although a nursing facility will never feel quite like home, we hope they find comfort, happiness, and that the environment is in no way a threat to their safety. Despite our hopeful visions, the reality is that the environments are not always as safe as we believe.
Across America, thousands of nursing home patients are held victims of physical and sexual assault every day. The reality behind this issue is alarming, but is something that needs to be known, especially if you have a loved one currently living in a nursing home.
Below are statistics that unleash the harsh reality of nursing home abuse:
- 70% of reported abuse occurs in nursing homes
- Only 30% of elder sexual abuse victims report the assault
- Elder women are six times more likely than men to be sexually abused
- 95% of residents report they have seen other residents abused
- Abused senior citizens have a 300% higher chance of death
If you have a loved one in a nursing home, don’t let the signs and symptoms of physical or sexual abuse go unnoticed.
Common signs of abuse:
- Medical staff refuses to leave the patient alone with family
- Patient suffers unexplained and recurring injuries
- Physical signs of restraint such as bruises and abrasions
- Malnutrition, dehydration and sudden weight loss
Learn more about the signs of physical abuse
- Bruising in the highs, breast and genital area
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Unexplained STDs and infection
- Clothing that has been torn, stained or covered in blood
- Increased difficulty in walking or sitting
- Depression or withdrawal
- Anxiety or excessive fear around caregiver
- Agitation and abrupt change in mood
Learn more about the signs of sexual abuse
Assault of any nature is unacceptable, especially when it is directed towards innocent elders. If you or a loved one has endured the pain, suffering and emotional trauma of physical and sexual assault, don’t wait.
After you have put in the time and effort to finding your loved one a suitable nursing home, the last thing you should hear is that they have become a victim of sexual or physical assault. You deserve assurance that the nursing home you paid for will deliver the care and attention that they once promised.
Fellows Hymowitz Can Help
Call us today at 845-639-9300 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call, one of our experienced New York and New Jersey Nursing Home Physical and Sexual Assault attorneys will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you. We will help you find answers and fight hard to protect your rights.
At Fellows Hymowitz, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and you owe us nothing unless we recover for you. Call us today to learn how we may be able to help.
Fellows Hymowitz – The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference