Last week in Brooklyn a man was driving on the Gowanus Expressway with a woman passenger. Driving at a high rate of speed he lost control crashing into a concrete barrier. The vehicle burst into flames.
Instead of coming to the aid of his friend, this callous and despicable driver left the car and hailed a taxi. His friend was left to die. The passenger, trapped in the fiery crash, was burned alive. Prosecutors are charging him with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide.
What explains such inhumane behavior?
To read the full article, click here.
There is an old legal adage “danger invites rescue”. Here the adage has been termed on its head and instead of rescuing the woman, he cowardly fled. What can explain such selfishness, narcissism and neglect? The facts of the crash, as reported, leave most people sickened with contempt.
If you find yourself involved in a car crash here are some helpful tips:
- Obviously, come to the aid of a passenger who is injured by calling 9-1-1 or asking a bystander for help. Check your own physical condition.
- Get to a place of safety: if you are able to drive your car, pull it off to the side of the road, putting your hazard lights on to prevent further damage. If you can’t move your car, exit the vehicle cautiously and move as far away from it as possible.
- Call 9-1-1: If you think about fleeing the scene of an accident involving personal injury, you will end up in criminal court.
- Document the accident: identify the police officers, witnesses, obtain a copy of the accident report, take pictures of your vehicle, and if able, of the scene. Obtain the other driver’s insurance information. If you are able, ask for a license. Write down the vehicle’s license plate number.
- If you can, take pictures on your mobile device of the other vehicle before it’s moved.
- Find a competent attorney who you can reach out to for help. Obtain the aid and advice of an experienced attorney as soon as possible. A delay in investigating your case might affect the outcome.
When you call Fellows Hymowitz Rice, one of our experienced New York Car or New Jersey Car Accident Attorneys will speak with you for free. Your rights will be explained in simple terms. We will be good listeners and aggressive advocates. Whoever you retain, you need an experienced car accident lawyer fighting for you because the insurance companies will have one fighting for them.
Fellows Hymowitz Rice will investigate every detail of your accident claim. There will be no cost to you and we will fight hard to protect your rights and interests. You need a top rated personal injury lawyer on your side every step of the way after a serious accident.
Call Fellows Hymowitz Rice, Because the Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference