Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month
March is Cerebral Palsy Awareness month and a reminder to help contribute to this serious disease that affects over 700,000 children & adults in the United States. Standing, breathing, bladder and bowel control, eating and talking are some of the simplest of movements all of which can be effected by cerebral palsy (CP).
Approximately 10,000 infants are diagnosed with cerebral palsy each year. Some birth injuries that lead to cerebral palsy can be prevented and occur due to negligence during the birthing process. CP can be caused by:
- Infections – a failure to detect infections early on in a pregnancy increase risks.
- Maternal health problems – one should be aware of any adverse effects from drugs or surgery.
- Negligence – failing to detect issues with the umbilical cord, neglecting to monitor proper heart rate during delivery, and mismanagement of normal delivery procedures.
- Improper use of equipment – improper use of delivery instruments such as forceps can increase the chances of a child sustaining injuries.
There is no current treatment for Cerebral Palsy, but there are multiple resources, therapies, and national support groups provided to help improve the quality of life for kids with CP including:
- March of Dimes – their mission is to improve health and wellness for new mothers and babies. There community support provides a place to share stories and connect through their large and expanding social network of parents.
- Cure CP – they were founded by two families that were directly affected by cerebral palsy. There motivated through the desire to help build a better life for children by helping fund support research for CP.
- Cerebral Palsy Foundation – founded in the 1950’s this organization contributes millions of dollars each year to cerebral palsy research.
- Reaching for the Stars – is an advocacy group that strives primarily to increase federal funding for cerebral palsy research.
Let’s strive to bring awareness to cerebral palsy in 2017.
If you have questions about a birth injury or birth trauma, Call Fellows Hymowitz Rice today at 845-639-9300 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call, an experienced New York and New Jersey Lawyer will investigate every detail of your claim at no cost to you.
At Fellows Hymowitz Rice, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and we don’t get paid until you do. Call today to learn how we may be able to help.
Fellows Hymowitz Rice – The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference