Distracted driving and texting while driving is a deadly problem. Although laws are in place making it illegal to text and drive, millions still admit to doing it. Throughout April the National Safety Council brings awareness to distracted driving.
One insurance company provided 7 ways to avoid distracted driving:
- Turn off your phone – don’t be afraid to power off your phone while on the road. If you don’t feel safe having it completely shut off make sure to put your phone out of reach so you are not tempted to use it.
- Organize your things and avoid multitasking – know where the important things are in your car, if you are planning on using a GPS have it set up prior to your drive, have any money or EZ-Pass out and ready for a toll. The better organized you are before you hit the road the less distracted you will be behind the wheel.
- Let your passengers help– your job is to drive the car and make sure you and your passengers arrive safe. Allow your passengers to control the radio and answer your phone.
- Save the serious discussions for the house – don’t stress yourself out and keep conversations light. Pull over if a conversation escalates!
- Make your drive time, quiet time – remember it is OK to ride in silence and give yourself some “down time.”
April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month remember to use these tips while driving to keep you and your family safe on the road. DON’T TEXT AND DRIVE!
There is simply no excuse for texting while driving. Aside from this action being illegal and resulting in hefty fines, you are carelessly putting the lives of innocent motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians and the passengers in your vehicle at risk. Next time you get behind the wheel please do not text & drive.
At Fellows Hymowitz, we fight aggressively to protect your rights if injured in a car accident that was not your fault. If you are injured in an accident with a negligent driver, call Fellows Hymowitz today at 845-639-9300 for a FREE, confidential consultation.
When you call our law firm, an experienced New York and New Jersey Auto Accident Lawyer will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you.
At Fellows Hymowitz, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and we don’t get paid until you do. Call today to learn how we may be able to help.
Fellows Hymowitz – The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference