Nursing home abuse and neglect has become a widespread safety concern across America. Millions of innocent Americans are held victims of abuse and neglect in nursing homes, and these cases often fail to get reported. Among the most common and painful form of nursing home abuse is bed sores.
According to MayoClinic, bed sores, also known as pressure sores or pressure ulcers, are defined as “injuries to the skin and underlying tissues resulting from prolonged pressure on the skin.” Bed sores grow on bony parts of the body, such as heels, hips and tailbones.
When the nursing home staff neglects doing so, the elder is left with the pain, suffering and emotional distress associated with bedsores.
Causes of Bedsores:
- Being confined to a bed for extended periods of time
- Incapable of moving for short periods of time, especially if the patient is thin or has blood vessel disease or any other neurological disease
- Uses a wheelchair or a bedside chair- (this is a hospital chair that allows the patient to sit upright next to the bed)
Symptoms of Bedsores:
- Stage 1
- Skin may feel tender or itchy
- Skin may be warm, cold or firm
- Stage 2
- Injured skin blisters or develops an open sore or abrasion, not extending through the skin
- Surrounding area may show red or purple dicoloration
- mild swelling or oozing
- Stage 3
- Ulcer develops into a crater below the skin’s surface
- Stage 4
- Crater deepens and reaches the muscle, bone, joint or tendon
If caught early in the process, bed sores can be properly treated. Unfortunately, many bed sores go untreated due to the nursing and medical staff failing to fulfill their duties. When elders enter nursing homes, their health, safety and wellbeing is transferred into the hands of the nursing home. Ideally, we want to trust the nursing home to deliver love, care and respect to our elders, but unfortunately, this is not always the case.
Fellows Hymowitz Can Help
If you or a loved one has suffered bed sores as a result of nursing home abuse and neglect, don’t wait. You are entitled to justice for the injuries, pain and emotional suffering you have endured.
Call us today at 845-639-9300 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call, one of our experienced New York and New Jersey Nursing Home Abuse attorneys will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you. We will help you find answers and fight hard to protect your rights.
At Fellows Hymowitz, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and you owe us nothing unless we recover for you. Call us today to learn how we may be able to help.
Fellows Hymowitz – The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference