Erbs Palsy (a Brachial Plexus injury) is a nerve injury, causing paralysis in a baby’s shoulder, arm or hand. Children with Erbs Palsy may have no muscle control, no feeling in their arm or hand, little control over their wrist and hand, or little use of their shoulder or elbow.
What Causes Erb’s Palsy?
Most Erbs Palsy occurs during birth. In the strain of childbirth, the baby’s shoulder could get caught and stretched behind the pelvic bone. Once caught, and not addressed, the Brachial Plexus can be compressed, stretched or torn.
There are 4 types of Erb’s Palsy:
- Stretch injuries are the least severe and will usually recover within 1 to 2 years with nearly complete function.
- Neuroma injuries involve scar tissue compressing the nerves and may require surgery to restore function.
- Rupture injuries involve the nerve being torn at several locations and require surgery and therapy to restore normal function.
- Avulsion injuries occur when the nerves are pulled from the spinal cord
- The most severe type of Brachial Plexus injury, which requires extensive surgery including a possible muscle transfer to restore function.
Often the diagnosis is more complicated than one of these four groups. Because different injury types can cause the same symptoms, it is difficult to know what kind of injury occurred.
If your child has Erb’s Palsy that you suspect resulted from a doctor, nurse, or other health care provider failing to provide adequate care during labor and delivery, or after delivery of your baby, contact Fellows Hymowitz immediately. We can help you understand whether your child’s Erbs Palsy was the result of a health care provider’s preventable medical error, in which case we will strive to recover the compensation, which will secure their future.
Fellows Hymowitz Can Help
Call Fellows Hymowitz today at 845-639-9300 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call, an experienced New York and New Jersey Erb’s Palsy Lawyer will investigate every detail of your claim at no cost to you.
At Fellows Hymowitz, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and we don’t get paid until you do. Call today to learn how we may be able to help.
Fellows Hymowitz – The Right Lawyers Make a Real Difference